Equity-Oriented Primary Care Webinar
Applying Lessons From Costa Rica to Equity Oriented Primary Care
March 8th, 1:00pm -2:00pm ET/ 11:00am – 12:00pm PT
Research has shown that increased access to high-quality, primary care can improve community health and health equity. At the same time, primary care system practices, policies and services can create barriers for communities most challenged by deep-rooted, systemic racial inequities. The Costa Rican health care model offers the U.S. critical lessons in reducing negative health outcomes and ensuring primary care, public health, and social service systems are designed to promote racial health equity. By utilizing integrated health care teams to create a community integrated health system in partnership with public health, the country has revolutionized primary care becoming a leader in innovative service delivery.
During this 60-minute webinar, panelists discussed opportunities to redesign and align care delivery to improve the well-being of entire communities including:
- An overview of Health Leads’ Equity-Oriented Primary Care Innovation Collaborative and the community integrated health system concept
- Spotlight on local successes from the community integrated health system in Costa Rica
- Review of key stakeholders roles and accountability, including the role of community leaders and patients and,
- Tips for primary care organizations to design a more equitable, coordinated system of care for their communities.
- Jacquelyn S. Dalton, MPH, Director of Community Engagement, Health Leads
- Hannah Ratcliffe, MSc, Affiliate Faculty, Ariadne Labs
- Madeline Pesec, MD, ScM, Internal Medicine & Pediatrics PGY2 Resident at Brigham and Women’s Hospital | Primary Health Care Research Assistant, Ariadne Labs
Interested in learning more?
- Learn more about our Equity-Oriented Primary Care Innovation Collaborative, an 18-month project that implements racial equity to drive measurable improvements for communities experiencing the most adverse health outcomes.
- Check out the Rebuilding For Equity In Primary Care: Designing The Equity-Oriented Primary Care Innovation Collaborative blog post which discusses innovative strategies that other primary care practices can adapt, spread, and scale to minimize the effects of systemic inequities and racial bias.